• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New RADIO Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AvFlyGuy

Reaction score
When I got my Cub 2 years ago, it came with the Turbo Alternator and had a Garmin GTX 320A Transponder from the previous owner. (Think it was near the veil of Class B around D.C. somewhere).

So, in and around the DFW area, it's really sort of nice to zoom around and when needed get clearance to enter Class B for short cuts or land at airports in Class C and D airspace. For the last 2 years I have been using a Icom A22 handheld with portable intercom and while it worked it looked like a spaghetti bowl of wires running everywhere.

Ran across a deal on a Becker AR 4201 (TSO'd) a few months back and traded a bottle (which a party of 4 helped consume :-} of Jack for a Flightcom 403mc intercom and got it all connected and installed by the avionics guru on the airport I'm on and let him do his thing. Just sort of fiddled with it is spare time. Finally everything came together on it and I just put the labels on everything today and took it for a test fly. Worked really nice. No issues at all.

BEFORE PIC of the 'rack'.

before.jpg

And... AFTER
radio.jpg

radio1.jpg

No more wires to deal with! Very happy with the outcome.
:D
.And yeah....there are purists that think this is a travesty of the highest magnitude for a J3, but ey.. to each his own.:)

Latest posts

Back