• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New member interested in J-3.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tgarcia

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tadd, I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I have been flying for about 10 years. The last two and a half years have been spent flying at the airlines. I've always been a stick and rudder kind of guy. I like to kick off the autopilot and auto-throttles and hand fly at the airlines as much as we are allowed to. I've always had an interest in aviation history and the aircraft and people that made it what it is today. The Piper J-3 has always been a favorite of mine. I like the simplicity of the aircraft. To me, it is the epitome of real aviating. I currently don't have any tail wheel experience but hope to change that soon.

With all of that said, I am considering purchasing myself a Cub. I obviously want to have it painted yellow. I would also like it to be as original as possible. 65HP is fine. I want to keep my total purchase price under $35,000. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it goes without saying that I would like a cub in good condition that I can get up flying right away.

I have been searching on Trade a Plane, barnstormers and controller.com to find a Cub. I found one that I think looks pretty good. I would like to get some opinions. This is my first aircraft purchase and need a little help.

Here is the aircraft I found. http://www.trade-a-plane.com/clsfdspecs/839525

I am getting ready to call the owner with a list of questions. I have them listed below. Is there anything else I should be asking him? The price seems pretty reasonable. Does anyone have any opinions about this aircraft. I am trying to learn everything I can about the Cub.

Questions to ask about Piper Cub....

1.) Are struts original or sealed? AD complied with?

2.) How many hours are on the prop?

3.) Condition of glass?

4.) Any corrosion on frame or wing spar?

5.) Has the aircraft been restored? If so, by whom?

6.) How old is the fabric? What kind of fabric?

7.) How many years ago was the engine overhauled? Who did the overhaul? Warranty?

8.) Any damage history?

9.) Original brakes or updated Cleveland brakes?

10.) Do you have all of the logbooks starting in 1946?

11.) Engine compression?

12.) Oil use?

13.) Been hangared?

14) How long have you owned it?

That's all that I can really think of right now. I'm sorry for the long post. Thanks for putting up with me. I will anxiously await the replies.

Tadd

Latest posts

Back