• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New member greetings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlinspop

Reaction score
Good afternoon all -

I didn't see a forum set aside for new member introductions, so the Rant and Rave one seemed most appropriate (assuming I commit a faux Pax on my first post).

My name is Bruce and I've been a private pilot for about 7 years or so. My medical has been expired for 3 of them, following a motorcycle accident. I wasn't seriously injured, but the nap I took on the side of the road qualifies as a history of 'head trauma' and a little heart blip I had last year following some emergency surgery compel me to limit my flying activities to LSA eligible aircraft and Sport Pilot privileges. At least until I have the wherewithal to buy a family-capable airplane and decide to jump through all the necessary hoops (once I find out for sure that I'd even get a special issuance). I live in Charles Town, WV and commute into NOVA to work most days.

Anyway, after not flying for a few years, the desire to fly has increased again and so I'm starting to look at options. At last check, a great big bag of money hasn't landed in my back yard, so the ideal LSA (Legend Cub) remains just a bit beyond my reach. Instead, I'm focusing on two types, the Taylorcraft BC-12 and the J-3. Apples and Oranges, but both available fruit, and I'm starting to get hungry. My wife does have this silly "one expensive toy at a time" rule, so I'm also interested in selling my Honda Gold Wing. 80+% of my flying would be solo, with most of the remainder being with my 7 (going on 30) year old son.

So, I'm here to read, learn and absorb as much as I can. I've learned over my modest 45 years that I learn much more with my mouth shut, so I'll predominantly sit back and read, but will from time to time ask the incredibly dumb question.

In the mean time, I'll be spending the next three weeks in Killeen, TX working on post at FT Hood. I may have a few hours here or there off and I was wondering if any members happened to be there or within an hour's drive or so who might be willing to further my education. I'm not looking for rides (although I can't recall ever turning one down), but rather a knowledgeable person who can point out some of the 'gotchas' that I'll want to look for as I start searching in earnest for a plane to call my own.

Sorry about the long intro.

Thanks,

Bruce

Latest posts

Back