• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New Great Prop for A65

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerome1

Reaction score
Just a little feed-back on the performances of a new prop installed on my Cub (A65) for the last few weeks.
This in an Evra - Model Merville 740, made of wood but with composite reinforcements. This is based on the original Sensenich design but optimized with modern manufacturing process (thiner profile, use of composites, integrated leading edges...). Pictures attached
This prop is very impressive overall.
On take-off the acceleration is great and we take-off within around 300ft at gross. In solo with 10kt of wind I am in the air almost immediatly, it hardly rolls 150ft ! At full power we need to maintain no more than 55mph to not overspeed the engine (it turns right at 2300rpm at 55mph for a static around 2180rpm). In this configuration it climbs up-to 800ft/min in solo and around 500/600ft/min at gross (according to the variometer).
Cruise is normal for a Cub, around 75mph at 2150rpm with a consumption of 15 liters/hr. The engine is a good A65 with compressions in the 78/79 range.
Overall this has completly changed the Cub around take-off and climb performances. Now this is a real STOL plane that we can operate safely from short ultralight field where we used to be marginal. Also with hot temperatures and two people on board + full tank I don't have any more concern on the climb capabilities that used to be a bit anemic somedays with the old prop...
There are probably other props like that on the market but it seems that modern props can completly change the behavior of the 65hp Cubs. I don't feel any need now to move to a bigger engine, it is just great like that :)

Appareil perso Mai 2014 624.jpg

Appareil perso Mai 2014 626.jpg

Latest posts

Back