• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New four in none exhaust upgrade for S1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couleeone

Reaction score
CC has available an upgrade for the S1 to the S2 "4 in none" exhaust system. As S1 owners know there is a problem with some of the S1 exhaust systems with the muffs or the heat boxes. The fix for this is nearly available.

I explored the possibility of upgrading my S1 to the new exhaust, the cost at this time is about $2150, plus installation and cowling modifications coming to approximately another $600-700 if you were at the factory. Those with the broken original exhaust would be credited $500 before the fix.

The new exhaust system adds 6 pounds to the weight. My S1 weighs 888 pounds, the 6 pounds puts me over the 890 pounds max. CC did an analysis for me to see what I could do to lose some weight, with the exception of the fire hydrant at 1. 5 pounds there was nothing I wanted to give up.

We discussed exchanging my metal prop for a wood prop, but that would cost me another $1795 and lose the higher performance of the metal prop, that would not make sense. Unfortunately, I have to pass at this time since there is no viable solution yet. When the new composite prop becomes available it is supposedly not only much lighter but performs like a metal prop. At that time I may be able to upgrade combining the new prop and the new exhaust.

I asked Earl at CC how he felt about the performance of the new exhaust compared to the old one and this what he had to say:

"I had the chance to conduct most of the S2 exhaust testing and to be honest I was not expecting much out of the hoopla. I was surprised at what a difference the exhaust made. I can say without fear of being struck by lightning that it give a good honest 50 plus RPM increase. I was seeing 2630-2640 RPM on a 71 mph climb out like I do for the flight test. The rate of climb was much better and I have seen numbers of 850 to near 1000 fpm with me at 250 lbs and full gas. I would have to endorse the upgrade based on what I have seen. This exhaust will spin up the engine to over 2800 rpm if you let it and it would not do that with the old exhaust"

In addition, it has been reported that there is a 5-10% increase in performance withe new exhaust so you can see why I was very interested in upgrading.

However, the thing is I am not at all unhappy the way my S1 performs now, but I have seen the Carbon Cub in person and that does make my blood hot! See even old guys can get those feelings......maybe next year!

Geo

pictures are of the new exhaust

100_0933.JPG

100_0941.JPG

100_0937.JPG

100_0934.JPG

100_0933.JPG

100_0941.JPG

100_0937.JPG

100_0934.JPG

100_0933.JPG

100_0941.JPG