• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

new cowling for 1940 j3 with 0-200

40cub

Reaction score
Just curious what the best avenue to get new cowling- upper and lower for my 1940 j3 with a 0-200. Thanks

longwinglover

Reaction score
If you or someone you know have a modicum of sheet metal working ability you might consider purchasing only the nose bowl pieces from Univair and custom making the rear parts (flat sheet with hemmed edges). The Univair cowling will probably NOT fit correctly around your exhaust. Probably needs no cut out in the top half and a deeper cut out in the bottom. Honestly, this is not hard.

John Scott

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
John is correct. Very easy to do yourself.

cubrath

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much for Rob's lifetime warranty on his cowlings and eyebrows!

oldairplanenut

Reaction score
With a little pleading, I was able to get Univair to make me a lower cowl skin with deeper exhaust cut-outs and no exhaust hole for my C-90. I used the old cowl to mock up the location of the exhaust hole on the new cowl.