• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Need Engine Advice\Guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdG

Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and 260 pounds and live in the DFW area (read high density altitude). I'm pretty sure that I will not be happy with the A-65-8 I have now. My A-65-8 was last run in the early 1970's but has 655 hours total time 125 since TOH. When I look at the price of overhauling this engine and my weight, it makes me think I need to just look for a mid time engine with more horsepower.

Are C-85's as rare as I'm beginning to believe?

I've been looking daily for the past month and I finally found one on Barnstormers (a low-mid time C-85-12 last rebuilt in 06) for $5500 and I sent the seller an e-mail through the system last night informing him that I wanted it. When I didn't hear from him this morning, I decided to give him a call. He told he me he had it sold in less than one hour and was in the process of delivering it. $5500 seemed like a fair price, but for it to sell in less than an hour, maybe the engines are more rare/expensive than I thought...

Am I wrong in my thinking about needing more horsepower?
Should I just rebuild my A-65 and be done with it?
Based on the low hours but long time out of service, How much would be a fair price to charge for my current engine?
If I rebuild it, do you think it would need anything more than new seals as the total time is so low?

Sorry for all the questions and rambling post, but I need to set the path for my restoration and guidance from all of you who have been down this road before me is incredibly valuable to me.

Latest posts

Back