• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Need advice on C90-8 breakin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a3holerman

Reaction score
I posted earlier about my C90-8 issues and here is a recap.

C90-8 majored with new Melinum jugs a 5 years ago and at 130 hours was making metal.
It was corrosion and lifters/cam was where it was coming from. My problem because it sat too long at times in a less than dry hanger.

New IRAN a couple of months ago. My AI put in new rings and ball honed the jugs along with the steel being sent out and all new lifters and bearings.

Ran it hard for about 10 hours on mineral oil. Switched to Philips XC 20-50 for another 20 hours. I have always had an issue with the oil blowing out the breather and the quanity going below 3qts. Installed duckbilled breather extension and rerouted the line over the top but it actually seemed worse so I went back to standard routing with duckbill properly oriented. Once I let it go and it kept going down to 2 3/4 qts before I couldn't let it go any further.
This was on the original overhaul and seems to be the same on the new one.
My son was out from Ca. and wanted to solo in the cub real bad so we started airwork at around 15hrs time on the engine and now at 30hrs he soloed. The last 6 or so were doing To/lds.
I still see oil on the belly and the exhaust has some black soot at the end of the tailpipe and oil will continue below 3qts if I let it.

I am thinking of switching back to straight mineral oil and see it that helps.
We did a compression ck and all were 76/80. I would have thought it would have been higher but it wasn't.

So basically I am looking for advice on what to do at this point.
Switching back to straight mineral may help, maybe, not sure.

I am planning a trip to northern Maine in a few says which should yield about 10 hours of flying.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Latest posts

Back