• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Need a new oil filler cap for a Continental C-85 8F

krfarr

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm trying to source a new oil filler cap (with the incorporated 4-quart dipstick) for a Continental C-85 8F engine on my J3 Cub. I don't want a used one, as it would be likely to have the same problem of my current oil cap (the little ears on the cap that hook under the flanges on the filler tube have worn away). It's a struggle every time to seat the cap properly once removed.

I consulted FORM X-30011A (April 1979) "Illustrated Parts Catalog for C-75, C-85, C90 & 0-200 Aircraft Engines".
Under oil sump parts the oil cap and cap assembly is indicated as having no part number, instead engine number, aircraft model and year are to be supplied.

Any leads on where to source a cap would be appreciated

thanks!

KFarr

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the 85 dipstick has a higher capacity than 4 in order to match the larger oiltank.

skipster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wag Aero Part #1-944-000 $37.50 Aircraft Spruce Part #08-00037 $38.50 I have bought them from both places and they are OK

tophand

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at it closely the whole cap comes apart. The part you need is on every cap out there. You can find some of the real short ones on ebay for 20 bucks or so. take it apart and swap out the pieces and your good to go. WITH the original dipstick. I that doesn't sound like a good idea send me your broken one.

........Mike

tophand

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KFarr

Sorry I came across so rough. I was really tired last night when I wrote that. I meant the send it to me part as a joke but forgot to put the smile on it.
I have one of the parts you need at home. I'll be happy to send it to you when I get home. It's gonna be a while, I'm down in West Texas working on those fires. It will be about 4-6 weeks till I get home.

again my apologies .......Mike

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, we all picked up on it being a joke. You be careful down there amongst those fires.
Good luck, and God bless.

krfarr

Reaction score
My apologies for not noting these helpful responses earlier. (I haven’t been putting away out fires but I have been focused on other stuff).

My thanks to all for the suggestions, on which I’ll follow up.

And I like Mike’s joke.

cheers

KFarr