• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

NC35447 - New Cub owner and first restoration.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdG

Reaction score
Hello My Name is Ed and I too own a cub....

Hello all,

I'm long time lurker who has been following this forum while I looked for my first restoration project. Thanks to all the info here I was able to find a perfect start for me in an 1941 J3F-65 (NC35447). She was taken apart in the mid 70's for a recover and never made it back together. The only Items that were missing were the windshield and master cylinders. The engine was changed to an A-65-8 back in the 60's on a 337, but the project came with the original Franklin, mount, cowl, and Boot.

I had every intention of ending up with a C-85 powered Cub that also could handle 1220 Gross weight (Already bought Paul Babcocks STC), but some people are telling me that a prewar Franklin powered cub should restored and put in a museum instead of modified. Talking to Clyde Smith, he tells me that the Museum at Lockhaven would be very interested in my firewall forward as they don't currently have a Franklin on display.

I would love to hear all of your opinions on this.

I've started a stand alone blog that I will be doing daily updates on, but I also want to keep you all up to date so that you can keep me in line.

NC35447 First Photo SM.jpg

NC35447 First Photo SM.jpg

Latest posts

Back