• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

My L4 cub up for sale on wheels

B

backcast

Hey All,
I'm putting my L4 up for sale on wheels, it's time for me to move up to a super cub. I'm listing her for $44,900.
2003 Restoration, 80 hrs since
TTAF2080
C90-8 TTE 30 hrs SMOH
McCauley 7140 30 hrs SMOH
Sealed struts, HD Forks, Cleveland Brakes, 8 gal wing tank
Pass the word

Tedd

B

backcast

Dropped her off today to get the land gear put back on, hardest thing I've had to do in a long time! What a fun airplane on floats. Now if I can just remember how to work those roundy looking things under the fusalage...

I almost backed out of taking the floats off and said the heck with it, but I really would like to move into a super cub. That ol'girl has been a pain in the @#$ sometimes, moving her across the country, setting her up for floats, changed motors out, cut my teeth as an owner, the pains with being down on the water and having to hump fuel cans down, or trying to change oil on the water, or sleepless stormy nights wondering if she's floated off and headed for the drink, OHHHH I LOVE IT! I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world. There's just something about being free from airfields, towers, and patterns. Of course you trade all that for jet skiers and boaters!

She'll make someone a great plane, I feel as if a part of me is in that plane. Did anyone else feel this way the first time they sold a cub?

Tedd

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I've never sold one.
JimC

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno. I've never sold one.
JimC
Looking in JimC's hangar, I am not sure he has ever sold any airplane he's owned. ;D

Of course, I've only sold one.....working on selling the second though. My Starduster Too is up for sale. Gotta get the J3 finished.

JimR

B

backcast

It's a L4 now, the only true difference between the two is the rear seat mounts on the frame and the seat sling attach points, which it is now set up as a L4. Other than that, same as a J3 so I'm not certain what your question is?

B

backcast

The greenhouse and seat sling w/floorboards is a difference but more aeshetic then anything (I've seen J3's with the greenhouse).

From the TCDS:

IV. - Model J3C-65 (Army L-4, L-4A, L-4B (Navy NE-1), L-4H, L-4J (Navy NE-2)), 2 POLM, Approved July 6, 1939. See NOTE 7 regarding conversion to 2 PCLM. Army L-4 (previously Army 0-59) is the same as Model J3C-65. Army L-4A (previously Army 0-59A) and Army L-4B are the same as Model J3C-65 except for transparent turtledeck enclosure, revised rear seat with seat back belts, addition of
rear shelf and rear floorboard. Army L-4H is same as L-4A except for G. F. radio equipment and revised method of installing the transparent cockpit enclosure.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
The registration shows it as a 1946 J3C-65. Also shows Classification: Restricted, Category: Agricultural and Pest Control. Not sure what that means to a potential buyer.

Still looks like a nice aircraft, and Tedd does say on TAP that it started life as a J3.
Chuck Shaw

B

backcast

Ya, I thought I was covering the "eaches" by stating that, but John makes a good point so I took it off the warbird listing since it isn't a true warbird.

The AW Cert says normal category, I just haven't done the research on how to get the change made in the FAA database. Someone told me to take the cert to the nearest FSDO and they could make the change?

She will make someone a nice aircraft, esp. with that C90.

Just thought I would put the word out. Market is tough right now and it seems aircraft along with houses may actually be losing their value.
Tedd

Latest posts