• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

My L-4B made it home to Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crew Chief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attached are some photos of my L-4B Piper sn: 100035 AAF sn: 43-1174
According to Clyde Smith she was pushed out of the factory 12-14-1942 painted just like in the photos. I bought the plane from a real nice guy Tod Lankford that hangared it with his father's L-4B. They were painted identical except for the unit numbers.

AOP researched where she had been during her military life and she has come full circle. Orginally she spent her military life at South Plains AAF base near Lubbock, TX. In about 1956 she was transferred to the Florida CAP. In 1974 she was sold to a flying school then sold in the early 80s to a lady in Alabama. She sold it to Tod in the late 90s and he restored it in 2005.

My friend Dave Heald flew it home for me a couple of weekends ago. He lucked out and got a tailwind all the way from Buchanan, GA to Athens, TX then fought a major headwind that turned into a crosswind on the last two hours of the trip. He said the last two hours were the worst. He was very impressed in the way she handled and said the engine is very strong. Dave wrote a very descriptive story about his trip with photos.

MadeitHometoTX.jpg

DavidHealdJoseCano.jpg

MyL-4B.jpg

InfrontofCliftonAero.jpg

Latest posts

Back