• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

My first BFR "failure"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jquinlan

Reaction score
I dislike doing BFRs for friends for many reasons, not the least of which is the possibility that I simply cannot sign their logbook in good conscience knowing that their piloting skills are not up to snuff. But that is precisely what happened last week when I couldn't sign the logbook of a friend who, in my estimation, should no longer be flying. Here's the short version:

Airwork:

1. Lost directional control during the takeoff roll to the point that I had to close the throttle and take control of the airplane.
2. Entered and flew the traffic pattern in the wrong direction.
3. Unable to stall the aircraft, make coordinated turns, or maintain level flight within the Private Pilot Practical Test Standards. Not even close.
4. Zero navigation skills without GPS.
5. I could go on

Ground work:

1. Unable to interpret symbols on the chart
2. Unable to explain even basic airspace
3. Scant knowledge of FARs, weather, flight planning, et cetera.
4. I could go on, but you'd call me a liar.

What's more, this fellow did not accept personal responsibility for any of these deficits, placing the blame elsewhere. (For example, when I mentioned that his tailwheel tire looked like it needed some air, he said so-and-so just did the annual and should have checked it.) I signed his logbook for the past several flight reviews, each time giving him instruction in the deficient areas, but his skills continued to deteriorate over the years with no apparent improvement. Last week was the straw that broke the camel's back, and it was time to tell him that, in my estimation, he shouldn't be flying. He is in his late 70's, and flying under the sport pilot certificate, having received his private certificate back in the 1950's.

Here is my question/concern:

He is currently "shopping" for another CFI to re-examine him, and may well indeed find one. I simply cannot give him any more "free" time, as it is obvious he does not profit by my instruction, possibly because he does not pay for it and it is consequently of little value. He simply wants a signature in his logbook. For example, I've gone over airspace with him countless times, and he knows as much about it as the fellow bagging my groceries. In my heart, I do not believe he should be flying.

I'd appreciate your comments on this!

Latest posts

Back