• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Mounting wing fuel tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am rebuilding a Wag Aero Sport Trainer. The wings have wood spars and new wood ribs. The project came with 11 1/2 gallon fuel tank for the left wing. I am ready to install the fuel tank and trammel the wing. The fuel tank has about a 1" lip on the front and back that apparently just sat on top of the wood spars (I didn't disassemble this project). There aren't any tabs or holes to secure the tank to anything. The profile of the tank is about 3/8" below the top of the ribs and the bottom looks like it is below the rib a little. I am planning on raising the tank 1/4" higher with plywood shims glued on the top of the spars, but I'm not sure what the best way is to hold the tank in place.

What is the proper way to install this tank and hold it in place? It doesn't seem right to just have it held in place by the fabric and fuel line. Pictures would be helpful.

Also, should I raise the tank to match the top of the ribs and glue the fabric to the top of the tank or leave the tank a little lower and not glue the fabric to it?

Latest posts

Back