• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

mechanic wrecked my Cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryBrown

Reaction score
I am sick just typing this. Had my J3 at an airport away from home for a week. Mechanic/FBO owner/airport manager decided to move it to another hangar. Didn't ask or contact me. He also decided not to move it by hand but to start it and taxi it to the other hangar. He is not a certificated pilot. He set the throttle at about half and hand propped it. No one sitting at the controls. It jumped the chocks, he grabbed tail, it circled several times and then slammed into the FBO building, the prop chewing through the plate glass window and window frame. The left wing is now an accordion. Wing struts L shaped instead of straight. Prop has been "shortened" 6 inches on each tip. Engine will have to be totally re-done (less than 100 hrs since OH). I arrived at the airport about 30 min later. Saddest part is I have a banner tow release on the plane just for hand propping when I am by myself. If he had used it to secure the tail none of this would have happened. If, if if...can't turn back the clock.
I would like to get some quotes for repair for the insurance and I sure as heck don't want the local guys to do the repairs. Can anyone recommend a Cub expert to do these repairs and get me back flying safely in a timely manner? I am in SW Georgia.
Thanks,
Henry
henrybrown at usa dot net

Latest posts

Back