• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Maule tailwheel solid rubber tire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillardrg

Reaction score
So, we are into the annual inspection on our J3 and removed the tailwheel assy and leaf springs, rebuilt the Maule SFSO tailwheel assy(we are not sure that it is the SFSO model as it has no markings we can find, but it matches the parts breakdown) and ordered a new solid rubber tire from A/C Spruce using their Maule parts breakdown and part number. The tire arrived with all bearings installed and would not fit our axle. Our axle is 5/8" diameter and the t/w bearings are 1/2" ID. I called A/C spruce and they said that is the tire I need. I called Univair and they measured the ID of their Maule solid rubber tire bearings and said 1/2". We are wondering if 1/2" is the standard axle size for the Maule SFSO and if so if someone in the past has swapped the original 1/2" axle for our 3/4" axle. The tire that was on it was not original Maule, it is marked "K & M 6 x 2.25". We are now at a standstill. I researched on line and called some tire suppliers and could not find a tire with bearings installed with a 3/4" ID. I could also not find any information on K & M 6 x 2.25 tires. As we see it, our options are change our axle or buy a tire less bearings and find bearings to install which match our axle. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back