• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Maul tail whee and TW spring layout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
Since nothing about my airplane when I got it was correct from an FAA or even REAL safety point of view, I am assuming that I've got some kind of orphaned tailwheel spring set up. It doesn't match the J3 parts manual. I've attached two pix, one of the parts manual, and one of the tailwheel as it currently is set up with the springs. In the manual, it shows the top spring being part of a three layer sandwich at the fuselage with the other end of the top spring just floating, (no bolt hole) towards the wheel end. The way my cub was set up when I got it was that the 3 spring layer is at the wheel end with only two layers at the big forward mounting bolt so that the top short spring is floating at the fuselage end. There is not combination of the springs that I have that will allow me to sandwich up the springs to match the drawing in the manual. I suppose the way it is will work, and apparently has for who knows how many decades.

Also, the angle of the Univair fuselage rear bracket mount for the tailwheel is at an angle such that the bracket will not be parallel to the line of the spring sandwich. Rather, the springs will be up against the rear edge of the bracket mount, not fully contacting the fore and aft (face) line of the bracket.

Also should there be some cushioning between the spring sandwich and the rear fuselage bracket mount??

Confused in Logan Utah.

Harry

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-001S.JPG

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-001S.JPG

Latest posts

Back