• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Maul SFSA tailwheel with solid tire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
As I was getting ready to bolt up the tailwheel assembly to the tail wheel spring on NC55100, I thought I'd do some clean up. I went out to a website where a fellow had a pretty good breakdown on these tailwheels, and the sprucing up of same. He indicated that there should be no slop anywhere when things are correct. I verified that the main tailwheel casting that carries the tail wheel mounting shaft was nice and tight around the vertical part. However, I did notice considerable slop in the steering arm. NOT radially, but transverse. Meaning that if I push up or down on the ends of the steering arm, I can get over an eighth, of an inch of tilt. It doesn't move much vertically at the shaft, but more like a teeter totter. I don't see any adjustment to create any down pressure on the steering arm assembly to take out the slop.

It looks to me like the slop may be due to wear between the steering arm bearing surfaces and what is called the lock ring in the Univair catalogue break down picture.

What has been the experience of you folks relative to what is okay regarding that teeter totter effect when pushing up or down at the ends of the steerign arm.??

There is nothing at this point that would seem to make the tailwheel operate improperly. For example, the nipple that moves laterally in and out with the movement of the tail wheel steering arm stays in place, and doesn't even come close to popping off of the cam, even at the extreme of the teeter totter motion.

What say you? Should I replace the steering arm at 80 bucks and the lock ring at 20 bucks that seem to be the only two players in the slop??

Latest posts

Back