• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Looking for instruction in the Dallas area

seabolt

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for instruction in a Cub in the Dallas area. I had been training with Jim Phillips before his accident (more info on that in 'Cub Talk')

Anyways, I found Four Winds Aviation up in Mckinney offers training in a Legend Cub but I'd like to find something closer to Rockwall where I live. Honestly, I guess I should just be happy that the training is available within about an hour drive, but before I make any decisions I thought I'd see if I could find something closer and maybe a hair cheaper. I'm sure it is worth every penny of the $150/hr for plane and instructor at Four Winds, but that's the most expensive sport pilot training I've found so far in the DFW area.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
I trained at Four Winds in 2003..in Citabria and Decathlon..I think they primarily cater to Acro so costs reflect that. The ride from Rockwall out to Sulphur Springs might be an easier one. I spent three WONDERFUL years at SLR learning about Cubs and there were 5 Cub CFIs there then...You might contact Oran Boyett on this site to see what might be avail now. Also, I believe Legend's contract check out CFI lives close to you so that is a possibility...

seabolt

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - I'll follow up with Oran Boyett this week. I found his contact info at sportpilot.org so I can call him - it doesn't say whether or not he has a plane available for instruction though. I completely understand about the costs at Four Winds - I'd love to end up doing some acro training there someday, but that day is a ways off.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
I don't think Oran has a Cub ..but he just might be able to find one he could instruct in. I had to buy one to do my training.

NickTx

Reaction score
$150/hr is quite a bit of change. Is that because they are using a Legend Cub?

If you come down to the San Antonio area (30mins to the north), there's a Cub and instructor where you can do a 10hr dual package for a total of $950. Otherwise 10hrs for $150 = $1500.

I did about 13hrs there. The Cub gets rented quite a bit. The instructor is cool...young guy..early 20s. I alternated between him and Jim Phillips.

Bunkerhill

Reaction score
I paid 100.00 per hour before my Cub was ready. My instructor was a cool guy in his 50s. We flew off of a grass strip in his backyard. The 5 hours I flew with him I learned so much . I honestly believe this gentleman is one of the BEST tailwheel instructors around. I plan on using him somemore when I get my instructors rating . He is a member of J3cub.com.

seabolt

Reaction score
I don't think Oran has a Cub ..but he just might be able to find one he could instruct in. I had to buy one to do my training.
I wish that last option was an option for me 8) I think I'll call Oran this week and see if he knows of anything.

$150/hr is quite a bit of change. Is that because they are using a Legend Cub?

If you come down to the San Antonio area (30mins to the north), there's a Cub and instructor where you can do a 10hr dual package for a total of $950. Otherwise 10hrs for $150 = $1500.

I did about 13hrs there. The Cub gets rented quite a bit. The instructor is cool...young guy..early 20s. I alternated between him and Jim Phillips.
$950 for 10 hours sounds great - I wish I could find something like that around here. It would definitely be something to consider driving down for if you felt like the instruction you received was worth it. Obviously, price matters but I'm more concerned about a good education.

seabolt

Reaction score
I left Mr. Boyett a message and haven't heard anything back in four or five days. I'm gonna keep looking but I may just have to settle for something less than a Cub for my training. Thanks for all of the responses so far, and if anybody knows of anything else please pass the info along.

-Cody

Texas Flyer

Reaction score
Did you ever get your Cub training?
If yes, where did you go and how much did it cost, etc?
Thanks.

EdG

Reaction score
Someone on the south side is giving training in a cub. They are often in the pattern at MidWay KJWY in the evenings. I'll ask them where they are out of next time I hear them on the radio. The last two digits are 2H if you want to do a registry search.