• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Lack of Varnish on Wing Spar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question. I was going through all the invoices and paperwork (Again) for my plane and I came across an annual Inspection report from 1995 that had two things that caught my eye.

(Keep in mind the airplane was "restored" (About 22k in parts & Labor) back in 1994 and the annual inspection in 1995 has

"Noted Lack of Varnish and sealing on Wing Spars"
"Noted minor corrosion on Wing compression tubes and hardware"

The right wing was replaced in 2018 so I'm not concerned about that one but is lack of Varnish on the left wing a big deal? Basically the Wood spar has no protection from moisture etc? The airplane has had an annual every year so I'm assuming the Spar is ok, but not sure if I should be paying closer attention.

I also don't know what a Wing Compression tube is or what to look for.

Here is the bottom of the report

IMG_5827.JPG

Latest posts

Back