• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

L4 at home of 493rd Heavy Bomber Group

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Dash

Reaction score
On Sunday 16th June I had the opportunity to fly in my L4 and visit the museum that volunteers have established at Debach nr Woodbridge in Suffolk, England. They have a 550 yard grass strip on the alignment of one of the runways.
The 493rd Heavy Bomb Group of the 8th (Helton's Hellcats) operated from Debach in 1944/45, firstly with the B24 and latterly the B17.

The volunteers have done an excellent job of restoring the control tower and other buildings to establish an excellent museum. They still get vets and families visiting. I had the privilege of meeting one of the three surviving vets who happened to be visiting at the time. Jack Rude from Amarillo,Tx was a tail gunner who did 32 missions before the war ended. He has been back over 20 times since the end of the war. It was interesting that he was a tail gunner as my father was a tail end Charlie on Lancasters. I'll post a couple of photos I took.

Debach 006.jpg

Debach 011.jpg

Debach 013.jpg

Debach 015.jpg

Latest posts

Back