• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

L-4A US Army Data Card

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43-29080

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a scan of the US Army data card for my L-4A. Looks like the original cost to the Army was $2853, and the delivery date was 28 May, 1943. Entries show the aircraft ferried to Camp Polk (Now Fort Polk) Louisiana, and later transfer for ferry and eventual disposal under the authority of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation.

The manufacturer's serial number, 10371, is not mentioned. Only the Piper build sheet (as obtained from Clyde Smith) mentions both the USAAF and manufacturer's serial numbers. This was the first indication that I had over 22 years ago that I was about to purchase an aircraft originally manufactured as an L-4, and not a J-3 converted to L-4 configuration.

This image is from micro fiche records, courtesy of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. The original card apparently no longer exists. You'll have to rotate it for easier reading.

View attachment ScanUSArmyDataCard4329080.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back