• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

James D. Garrett

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgar338437

Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I just joined a few minutes ago and hope that I am doing this correctly. I am James D. Garrett, a senior citizen, current high school history teacher (AP World, AP European, Military History), and retired Air Force Reserve officer. At present, I am looking for an L-2, 3, or 4 plane. These, from what I understand, qualify for the light sports aircraft pilot's license which is the route best for me to pursue. I grew up flying in DC-3s, 4s, and 6s over the equatorial, Amazon jungle of Brazil. My parents were missionaries there and I was exposed to various civilian aircraft. As a kid, I put together many airplane models, mostly WWII classics, and read about the aces of those planes. My love of flying, however, had to take a backseat as I went to college, graduate school, and then to raise a family. Time and expenses just were not there... actually never were, hence I never pursued the flying bug, though it never left me.

So now I am pursuing it again. Nothing high, nothing fast. A plane that will be easy to learn from and fly. The L-2, 3, and 4 models have attracted my attention, especially the military versions. If anyone knows of such aircraft for sale, please let me know. I thought that the best way to learn would be to purchase an aircraft then learn in it. I maybe wrong about this method. Aircraft today are expensive, so I have to be practical and realistic. But I have looked at them for a long time, as a growing child seeing the Pipers, Beechcraft (Bonanzas), and Cessnas to the various DC models above, including also the 1950's Constellation. On military installations, of course, I was around the F-4s, F-16s, C-130s, and others.

Thank you for your help!

James D. Garrett
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back