• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

J3 wheel "fenders"

Gener

Reaction score
For those of you who have flown with fenders, how much do they help? I assume they'll keep the water spray off of the wings but not the tail. Is this correct?

jimmy

Reaction score
I sure could have used a set back when we had cows. There was no missing those paddies...just plan on getting the hose out :).

Sikorsky

Reaction score
I second the cow patty comment (what a mess), however I'd bank on them being a marketing ploy. If not, they would still be commonly implemented. That said they are cool: I also have a pair hanging on the wall.

Sik

Lockhaven

Reaction score
I second the cow patty comment (what a mess), however I'd bank on them being a marketing ploy. If not, they would still be commonly implemented. That said they are cool: I also have a pair hanging on the wall.

Sik
I tend to daydream about being back in the late 30's when the J3 was one of the most exciting airplanes a young pilot/enthusiast could see or ride in. The Taylor/Piper
factory had designed the airplane with an overriding sense of practicality.

In those days, there were very few paved airfields, and these were located in or around busy cities and generally catered to larger aircraft...DC3's etc.. For the little Cub, the main port was usually a cow pasture, or with a bit of luck, a mown hayfield somewhere. Often, a Cub sat down just about wherever it could.

So from a practical standpoint, a device to keep the mud (and cow-patties) from being thrown UP...into the prop, spattered against the windscreen, or under the wings, was
likely considered a reasonably desirable item.

As Cub pilots, we fly a very rich part of aviation history...(cow-patties and all). :)

Lockhaven

Sikorsky

Reaction score
Lockhaven- I agree fully. To the above topic of underwing deposits, the following link is from the movie Forrest Gump. Hopefully people don't find this crass or poorly placed as it's meant to supplement the aforementioned...

**LANGUAGE WARNING IF CHILDREN ARE WITHIN HEARING DISTANCE**

Sik

Reaction score
I need a pair of these for the PA-11 if anyone has a set for sale or fabs some for resale. Please let me know. Our field gets sloppy. My PA-12 and Stinson 108-3 have a factory version of this and I am planning on making a carbon fiber set for the Cessna 180. Thanks
John

Latest posts