• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

J3 Cub Regretfully for Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy critter

Reaction score
1940/1946 J3 Cub
I'm regretfully putting my Cub up for sale. As most of you know from reading my earlier posts, I've been having some trouble with it stumbling and trying to quit. I'm pretty sure it's one of two things....either a severely cracked cylinder or a broken crankshaft but compressions are excellent and there is nothing in the oil screen at all. I have no idea if it needs an overhaul or not nit i have another one that can go with it? Someone smarter then me might be able to figure it out, my luck it really is just something simple that I've overlooked a hundred times. I have a good running, high time A65 engine(1200smoh, 120ish stoh) I will throw in with it, if you want you can just come change them out and fly her home or bring a truck and trailer and haul it. Either way I will help, loan ya my tools, shop, etc....just bring yourself and a day to do either one. I just don't have the time or extra money to put into it or renew the insurance right know and I honestly need to consider thinning down the fleet.

I really don't want to sell it but I just bought a house because i signed a lease to rent my home on the airport to a medivac chopper who backed out 3 days after I moved leaving me high and dry. They have promised to make it right with me but so far I'm just getting the run around and bills are piling up and getting tight. Its starting to look like I might have to add legal fees to my pile of extra bills before its over.

I have 3 other airplanes that are family hand-me-downs and will never be sold as well as several other aircraft I'm rebuilding to sell. So as you can see, I have a lot on my plate and little or no help to do any of it and money & time is going to be pretty this summer.

About the cub, It started life as a J3F, spent some time in tuskegee as a trainer and is rumored to be the airplane that took the first lady a ride. In the mid 40's it was wrecked, the fuselage replaced and converted to a J3L. A few years later it was wrecked again, the fuselage rebuilt and wings replaced with metal spar wings. Then in the 1970's it was wrecked again and set for a long time before someone rebuilt it in the late 80's which consisted of a new post war fuselage and the metal spar wings were rebuilt.

In 2007ish the lycoming was removed and upgraded to an A65 cont using new cowlings, exhaust, etc. last year I installed the grove brake conversion. The airplane was last recovered in 1987 with ceconite and has been hangered mostly since.

It flies great, far from a show piece but still looks pretty good. All the paperwork is accounted for and everything ever done to the airplane has been well documented, log books seem to start in the 1950's when it left Tuskegee i think. You will need to bring a seperate car or airplane with more useful load then a cub to get the log books home.....the logs weigh almost as much as the cub,lol. Just kiddin.

Keep in mind this was an amature recover job done in 1987(but decent quality), fabric and paint is still good but could use a little light tlc in a few places to really make it nice, and it will need some engine work. This in no show plane, it is a flyer and flies great. Its not going to be a show plane without a ground up restoration but still have a lot of life left in it before it needs to be covered and is priced accordingly. Let me know if you would like to take look. I do have a few pics I can email but on this one I really prefer that anyone interested just come look it over in person. I will sell it over the phone or email but I will not be held responsible for any unseen or unlisted issues. I'm asking $25,000 which will include the engine mounted on it now and the high time engine that was running perfect when removed from a chief last year. Or I will let it go as is for $22,500 without the spare high time engine. As much as it pains me to do so, it really needs to go. Thanks, Kev 606-359-2557

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back