• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

J3-C65 Clipped Wing Cub for sale

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
O-200 ?
How did you manage that? Standard category Reed Clip Wing is explicitly prohibited by the Type Certificate from running more than an A75. Are you limiting power by panel placard?

J5Mike

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some clipped wing Taylorcaft info that is interesting :

Re: Clipped L2 info

Dave - Good idea. I forgot about that option. My instructor had reassembled the DCO-65, but the wings were clipped before he got the project. I asked him about it a couple years ago and he said it was done 'ala Duane Cole'. Unfortunately, he has passed since then and we lost a huge wealth of knowledge and experience with these little planes.

Chet - I haven't had a chance to fly a stock DCO-65 or L-2. I've flown J-3's, Champs, Citabrias, etc, but I still preferred the handling and qualities of that clipped DCO-65. Other than the worn out engine, it seemed to perform well. It certainly wasn't a hot ship to land.

However, I can see this isn't a popular idea. That is worth taking into account as I plan this project.

Maybe a better question is what most folks want when they clip a B model. Less float and better crosswind handling? Speed and handling? Aerobatic capability? My interest is more in line with the first two items. I have a Pitts S1 that covers my acro needs.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My direct crosswind limit on grass in a longwing J3 is 27 mph, gusting 33. How much direct crosswind capability do we need?

jimmy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good project and Duane Cole could sure put a T-cart through its paces! That symmetrical wing might behave a little like a Decathelon’s.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Not much, with any more crosswind it’s just easier to land crossways on the runway".

I'm not a good enough pilot to do that. When the wind is that strong and that gusty, the J3 is popping up and down too much for me to spot land it. And, if you miss you get to play games with the trees at the edge of the runway.

1940_owner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is nice to visit places that have trees!

J5Mike

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am an avid R/C nut . I have a 1/4 scale Ace Balsa kit that is never going to be built .........