• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

J-4 Sealed Struts

joew

Reaction score
Hello all,

Any chance that someone has a set of sealed struts for sale for a 1940 J-4? Is Univa** the only game in town as far as new, sealed struts?

Thanks,

JoeW

joew

Reaction score
No-one knows anything? Did I upset someone? Any other sources for struts other than Univai*?

Thanks,

JoeW

joew

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm glad,
but you would figure someone else would want a slice of the 20 some thousand pipers that need or needed struts.

JoeW

cubdriver2

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm glad,
but you would figure someone else would want a slice of the 20 some thousand pipers that need or needed struts.

JoeW
Nothing wrong with original rolled type fork/struts, you just need to LOOK at them once in a while, think about it, they certified super cubs at 500lbs more then J3's with the same size forks, everybody's paranoid over lift struts, you could get a semi truck to fly with the new 5/8" forks, Stan Segalla the flying farmer who did his acro routine in a 1948 pa11, roll, snap, loop, spin and more below 400' over Old Rhinebeck for 30 + years had 3/8 forks and struts, and he's still doing it at over 80.

Glenn

cubdriver2

Reaction score
John's right though, thank God that Univair is still makin over priced parts for us.

Glenn

meetwo

Reaction score
Joe,

I don't have any sealed J-4 struts but I do have 2 new Univair rolled strut forks, (p/n U1600-02) left over from a J-4 project. I will sell them for less than half of whatever the current price is. I may have some original unsealed struts, send me a PM if your interested.

Thanks, Dennis

Len J Buckel

Reaction score
I believe that Jim Dyer of UNIVAIR is currently (for the past several years) rebuilding a J4. You might try calling and speaking to Jim about any J4 parts problems that you might have.

And if enough people need the part, maybe they might put it into production. But it takes a lot of time and money to have these things approved. But, if anyone would do it, it is UNIVAIR. Maybe expensive, but they have most J-3 parts available. If there is a market, they will develop it and build it.

Jim is a nice helpful, friendly guy who is like his whole family, an airplane person.

Len J Buckel

cubdriver2

Reaction score
Len, it's good to see your post, are you going to be kind to the rest of us and give us the pleasure of your company at Lockhaven this year.

Glenn

Len J Buckel

Reaction score
Glenn:

I don't know if it will be kind to you, but I lost a bet to Tom Lee and will be there again.

I was going to skip this year and go for the last time in 2011. I will be 80 years old then and figured that it would be a good time to quite the long cross countries.

Tom, John Scott and I were setting on one of the benches at SJ last year and the subject of next year came up. I said that I wasn't coming and John said that he had heard this for the past five years. I ended up making a bet with Tom that I lost so I will be there.

These trips have been harder for me lately. The old body is letting me down!

Len

cubdriver2

Reaction score
Well then, it sounds like a good deal for all of us, Len you always set the bar for traveling the longest distance so lets see how many YOUNGER members here will make it flying 1/2 or even 1/10 the distance so we can share MAYBE your last trip to the flyin. It's always fun being in your company Len.

Glenn

Latest posts