• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

J-3 Cub Instruction offered - San Antonio, TX

TexasTailwheel

Tailwheel CFI
Reaction score
I am an independent flight instructor working with the folks up at Boerne Stage Airfield here in the San Antonio area. We have a nice 1947 Piper Cub available for flight training and rental. We offer a nice tailwheel endorsement package, too! I am one of the instructors authorized to teach in the Cub and we have a few others if I am not available.

I am also a member of the Alamo Liaison Squadron where we have a 1939 Cub on the field that I also fly on occasion.

If you are interested in learning to fly tailwheel, or just want a ride in a Cub, the contact information is below.

Ryan Short
(210) 902-0372
[email protected]
www.texastailwheel.com

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't a student, but I've had it happen. Pushed the stick full forward too. Kept the brakes locked though. I was propping from behind and lunged for the throttle. We were in a parched cotton patch. I never saw so much dust in my life -- must have been 3" deep in the cabin by the time the engine stopped.

TexasTailwheel

Tailwheel CFI
Reaction score
Great video Ryan, I think that is the safest way to handprop a Cub!

Although I only pull it through 3 times and it starts on the 4th pull. Have you ever had a student push the throttle full during the start? That'll keep you on your toes. ;D
I have not had that happen. It's actually part of our pre-prop briefing, so if it does ever happen, I'll be prepared, but surprised.

Ryan

TexasTailwheel

Tailwheel CFI
Reaction score
There are several pilots in the past few weeks who now know how to fly a Cub. Congratulations in particular to Pete who did a really nice job in some crosswinds last week.

Ryan

IMG_9947.JPG

IMG_9947.JPG

TexasTailwheel

Tailwheel CFI
Reaction score
I am expanding to include the Austin and greater Austin area including areas such as Burnet, Marble Falls, Killeen, Georgetown, etc...

Ryan

TexasTailwheel

Tailwheel CFI
Reaction score
Just an update - some of you know that I now have my own Taylorcraft that I am teaching tailwheel in - however, I am still teaching in the Cub down in Boerne as well. in fact I put 4.8 hours in that Cub on Saturday with students. I also MAY have access to another Cub in the Central Texas area soon.

Ryan

TexasTailwheel

Tailwheel CFI
Reaction score
And... it looks like I will have the Taylorcraft sold in a few weeks, so I'll be back to Cub instruction as primary!

Ryan