• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Interesting Problem, take a guess

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeWitt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine O-360, Plane Super Cub,
Problem: Engine running very ruff not developing full power lots of black smoke.
Possible solutions, intake leak somewhere, stuck primer, stuck carb float.
OK before you read what I found out think about this and see how close you can come.

After exhausting all options I decided on a stuck float and removed the carburetor.
This plane has a long cylinder type air cleaner with a nose cap like the spinner on my J3.
Stuck inside the throat of the carb was the 1” X 3” Piper parts sticker with # etc identifying
the nose cap for the filter. It was glued on the inside of the cap and came loose and
got sucked in and stuck on the venture. If I ever work on a Super Cub again you can bet the first
thing I’ll do is remove that parts label from the inside of that cap.
Blue Skies & Tail Winds
DeWitt

Latest posts

Back