• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Instruments Needed

Dan Johnson

Reaction score
Looking for the following:

Carwil or Airpath bubble-faced compass

Black face Cub logo TACH, Altimeter and ASI.

Smaller individual Oil Temp/Press

I would prefer yellow-tagged devices, but it's not required.

Dan

281 859 8459

[email protected]

ksfarmboy

Reaction score
There are some overhauled ones form Keystone on ebay right now. Good Luck

longwinglover

Reaction score
Dan,

Good luck in your search, especially for the correct U.S. Gage oil press. and temp. gages The press is easier to find than the temp and the temp usually had a broken bourdon tube.

All of these can be found, but it will take time. You will most likely find them in need of overhaul, not yellow tagged. I suggest first having a conversation with Ken at Keystone about the cost to overhaul/yellow tag each of these instruments and his estimate of a retail price. That way you will have some idea of the core value. Next, I would haunt e-bay, Barnstormers, Trade-a-Plane and anywhere else online that might have these items for sale.

The tach is made by Waltham. I think both the airspeed and non-sensitive altimeter are by Aeroconic. The oil temp and press as I said are by U.S. Gage and the compass by either Carwill or Airpath.

John Scott

P.S. There is a Carwill type 61 compass for sale on Barnstormers. Yellow tagged by Keystone. $800!!

Dan Johnson

Reaction score
Yep, this is a long-term project, just going to work on one instrument at a time.

Thanks for the info. I knew what the Oil Temp/Press gauges looked like, but I didn't know the manufacturer.

Cheers,

Dan

F

fly_cubs

Dan,

I have some of the instruments you need. I'll give you a call.

I second John Scott on how hard it is to find the U.S. Guage temp guage. I looked for several years for mine, and was finally able to buy a yellow tagged one from a really really nice guy who will remain unnamed. They command a premium price. If you want a correct pre-war panel, the U.S. Guages are worth every penny and then some. That's one I'm keeping. Going to look great in my newly restored bird.

-TMF

longwinglover

Reaction score
Dan,

I was mistaken in my previous post (thank God I caught it before others! :D ).

The manufactruer of the airspeed and altimeter is Aeromarine, not Aerosonic.

John Scott

longwinglover

Reaction score
Dave,

Tooting your own horn? :D :eek:

So, how many U.S. Gage Oil Temp and Press gages do you have stashed away?

John Scott