• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

instruments for L-4B

iowa

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
will have Keystone OH my oil temp/press gauge and compus
but need the other 3 intruments for my L-4B
any out there
or where is the last to get them?
iowa

longwinglover

Reaction score
Thet're just standard cream faced Cub instruments. E-bay is your best source for "cores" and Keystone for overhaul.

John Scott

pburger

Reaction score
Our L-4B instruments were all sent to Keystone in 1998 by the guy who did the restoration. For some reason he had the faces done in black. Now that we're re-doing the plane, we-re going to get the instrument faces re-painted with the cream color. Our pressure/temp gauge needs to be overhauled anyway.

iowa

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
thanks
i checked e bay but couldn't find any for sell
are they pretty rare to find?
iowa

AOP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave,

Getting that way. The best thing to do is to put instruments in there that will get you going and then keep looking on eBay. Of course, Keystone keeps a limited inventory, so you might get something there, too. There are several dealers that often have something and will keep an eye out for what you need. You'll find the correct ones eventually.

Good luck

longwinglover

Reaction score
Dave,

E-bay is not just flodded with these things. You DO still have time, so just keep watching and all of the instruments you need will come along (seperately) over the next six months. Probably the best move is to decide ahead of time how much you are willing to pay for each as a core and bid your maximum accordingly. You might get outbid on some, but others will come along.

John Scott

iowa

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
hi john
would you hazard an approximate range for cores?
i did find a tach
so now only need the airspeed and altimeter
thanks
dave

Jeff Fontenot

Reaction score
Dave,
I have a non sensitive altimeter with a cream Cub face that could be persuaded to part with.

Jeff

iowa

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
hi jeff
could you send my a picctue?
dave

bobbuilder1313

Reaction score
I thought that all of the L4 instruments except the combo oil pressure/temp gauge was black. Roger Peperell/s Piper book shows the panel of an L4-H with all black instruments mounted in the shock absorbing panel. Earlier L-4's were black as were the pre war Cubs. Not sure that the ever went to cream colored gauges; but i could be wrong. Clyde Smith would know definitely.

Bob Hunt