• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Installing Tailsprings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cubbers,

My tail springs are getting some pretty good corrosion on them so I'd like to remove them, clean, repaint, and re-install them. It doesn't look like I could screw it up, but I've been wrong before. I've been told if the springs are installed "incorrectly" it can contribute to T/W shimmy, but nobody seems to know what "incorrect" consists of. The last time I pulled off my Maule T/W for rebuilding, the IA looked at the wheels/springs for alignment, shook the assembly, and said it was good. I didn't notice any scrutiny as far as the tail springs were concerned. Any inputs?

Also, I don't have my TCDS readily available, is the Scott 3200 approved for the J-3? I have one which is in much better condition than the 8" Maule that came on the plane. I know the 3200 is more than a J-3 needs, but I like the pneumatic wheel for the constant student beatings. Plus, I have 8.50s on the mains and the large T/W evens out the deck angle somewhat. If I had the money I'd put all the wheels back to stock and save a bunch of weight!

Mike-

Latest posts

Back