• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Installed the vg's on my cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be77jy

Reaction score
I received the vg kit from micro the other week and couldnt wait to get started. So early that Saturday I fired up the heater in the hangar and went to work. I thought I was in for it when 108 cub yellow pieces of aluminium
were laid out along with templates, jigs, adhesive and a neat plastic sealed collection of Q-tips, thread, rubber glove, exacto knife, a sharpened pencil and a 12 ft measure tape. After the first read of the install instructions I thought this is going to easy which it was. In 6 hours, including lunch I was finished. And no helpers. (I do much better by myself) Of course, under the supervision of my a&p. So after 76 vg's on the wings and 24 under the horiz stab I went home and let it cure till Sunday.Sunday morning after the preflight and making sure the vg count was still 76 and 24 I taxied the c-85 stoker to rw 01. Never flying with anything on my leading edges let alone 76 of anything, I decided to do a crow hop just to be sure it would fly. At 1600 rpm and no wind in about 300 ft the cub with me in it were in the air. Felt good so I throttled up and away we went. By the end of RW 01 (3000 ft) we were 600ft agl. Flew a normal pattern and set up for landing. The first turn off on 01 is 250 ft from the approach end which I have been able to make on a three pointer in the past...sometimes. (I'm still new to the cub. About 50 hrs.) Now, I have to taxi to reach the first turn off. What a whoot........ END

Latest posts

Back