• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

I feel like Goldilocks .....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouser

Reaction score
I'm finally in a position to buy an aircraft, but after weeks of research I find myself hopelessly mired down in information. The internet is a great place for rooting out stats, dates, numbers, facts and raw data, but it doesn't help much with discovering "experience"..... the application of data.

Long story short, I just got back into flying after a 20+ year absence. I live 3 minutes from a 3000 foot grass strip that has had the same hangar, planes and pilots for the last 50 years. It's a great place filled with great people. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of that community.

I need some help creating a short list of planes that fit most of my criteria. At 6', 2" and 240 pounds I'm having a lot of trouble finding a plane that fits me. I climbed in a 58 Champ 7ec the other day and it was fine except my knees were pinned against the dash. I could fly that plane as long as I twisted my knees together. I've read that the j-3 is even smaller.

I'm going to look at an older Citabria next week and I've been told I should keep an eye out for a Piper J-5, or PA-12. I flew an American Legend last week and I was ok with the size, but at 80,000 (used) I have a hard time justifying the cost. I keep reading that some aircraft are larger depending on what year they were built.

In a nut-shell .... I'm looking for the J-3 experience, slow flight (I have no where to go), windows and doors open or even better... off (I luv the wind in my face), great visibility, and fun to fly. All of this needs to fit my 6', 2" 240lb body. I know some will laugh, but the wind in my face is probably the most important.

Thanks for any ideas you can toss my way,
Lee

Latest posts

Back