• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

How to find dead center when drilling a hole in tubing ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J5Mike

Reaction score
I am building a new set of landing gear for our Breezy and it is made out of 4130 chromoly tubing with various sizes from 3/4 " to 1 1/8" diameter .065 thickness . I have good selection of tools (die grinders etc.) and a drill press . I am trying to get within 1/64 " of center to install bushings that will be reamed to 5/16 " for landing gear bolts . That is what the plans called for on this experimental airplane . The 5/16" held just fine in a hard landing ( got too slow and pancaked it on landing and bent one gear leg ). I am going to make two new ones and new bungee struts ( called for J-3 shock struts in the plans). But I am building a set from scratch .

I have used a center punch and and a drill press with OK results . I don't have a drill press vise and I think that would be a big help . How can you find dead center on a tube ? I have calipers and micrometers but I am not getting dead center on the tube . There is enough meat on the tube bushing that 1/64" will be close enough and I can fine tune it with heating the tubing . ...........It sounds simple but I want it even closer than 1/64 " if I
can ..........Any comments will be welcomed and that goes for "Love that Bob too ! " ....;):p

I found this :

Latest posts

Back