• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Hot and Cold starting my C-85 Stroker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV-GWS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very happy with my Don Swords C-85 stroker engine on my J-3. Plenty of power now to carry a passenger in WV where there are hills around. There's only one thing I haven't got locked in yet and that is the easiest way to start the engine after it has been sitting at a stop over for about 20 minutes.
On cold start, I give it about 3 strokes of prime and pull the prop through 4 times with the throttle closed. Then I stand behind the prop and pull it through with my right hand, so I can get to the throttle with my left hand if she starts.It seems to start after one or two pulls and if not, I "clear the engine" and it usually starts. This is much different than the old A-65. It started every time easily with 2 shots of prime, 2 pulls with switch off, and started on the first pull after than. I know..different engine and more powerful. It seems to need more gas to start it.
The hot start after 20 minutes has me a little buffaloed. I've tried priming, not priming with 4 pulls switch off, then pull with switch on. It just doesn't want to start without a struggle. I usually end up flooding it and then clearing the engine, and it will start.
I the idle mixture seems to be set about right...she'll idle smoothly at 600 to 650 rpm after engine is warmed up.
I know every engine is different, but any suggestions on how to best start this C-85 -- O-200 crank conversion when cold and hot but after setting 20 minutes ? (it will start 1st pull no matter where the throttle is if it has been less than 5 minutes after shutdown)
WV-GWS

Latest posts

Back