• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Harnesses installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Front and rear installed as shown below. Flew solo with front clip installed but no belt and it is not a factor. Only takes a couple minutes to thread the harness once things are adjusted.

I am sure I would not like the front clip directly over my head on the cross bar. The policy letter on shoulder harnesses for pre-1979 aircraft says that they realize not all installations will be ideal or up to the standards for new aircraft, but since the aircraft were certified as airworthy and met crash standards with lap belt only, shoulder harnesses that don't meet new specs should be an improvement over none. Bob Turner suggested this arrangement and has used it for years, and says it is comfortable for the front seat passenger. He has not had an accident that I know of, so no reports on how much it helped.

Rear took some more adjustments after landing, but easy to loosen shoulder strap for cranking trim, and I have a right arm extender for pulling and pushing carb heat without loosening straps. Shoulder straps re-tighten with simple pull.
Chuck Shaw

3713rearharness.jpg

3712rearharnessdetails.jpg

3717frontharness.jpg

3715frontharnessdetails.jpg

Latest posts

Back