• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Glider Towing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cubbers,

This has absolutely nothing to do with J-3s, except that I now find myself consulting the website for answers on anything and everything from Cubs to taxes to plumbing, relationships, and everything in between.

I towed gliders for several years in 235 Pawnees and Callair A-9s, so I'm familiar with the process. My question is; has anyone any experience towing an early Schweitzer glider (2-22 or equivalent) with a stock Stearman on an R-670 and metal Mac prop?

I know the Stearman is somewhat power limited, but the ship I'm familiar with has had an approved tow hook on it for as long as I can remember. Now we have a 2-22 and would like to know if I can reasonably tow with it. It's not a commercial operation, just a few tows a month so engine wear would be limited.

Also, with the collective experience, what kind of wear can I expect as far as engine mounts, etc. I'd be towing from a 2,000' sea level grass strip.

Any inputs would be appreciated. I hate to have to pay the C-150/150 guy $30 a tow when it can be done in-house.

Mike-

Latest posts

Back