• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Giant RC J-3 Cubs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsbauman

Reaction score
I have been into RC flying for the last 8 or so years. As my skills have grown as a pilot, I started acquiring larger and more advanced aircraft. Many I built, some I just could not resist buying:eek:

The following pictures are of two different remote controlled (RC) giant J-3 Cubs. They are both from Hangar-9 and distributed by Horizon Hobbies. Each one is 1/4 scale, 106" wingspans, and between 17 and 20 lbs and completely electric powered. AUW is dependent on batteries used, and whether or not I fly with the scale cockpits installed (I do!!:D)

The first photo was taken at Briscoe Field in Georgia. This model is covered in fabric and is currently on the work bench to recover the left wing. She was originally powered by A123 LiFe, and eventually an eight-cell LiPo battery. This was matched to an E-Flite Power 110 motor and HV Castle Creations 50-Amp ICE electronic speed control.

The rest of the photos are of my second J-3; pictures taken by Bob Dunlop, the original builder. He has highly modified this aircraft, and I think his pics speak volumes more than I can type. Some of the highlights of this ship: 8" GoodYear air filled tires, pilot, headsets, maps, Cub teddy bear, even a fly fishing rod and reel. I am powering this with ten-cell LiPo battery paired up with an E-Flite Power 160 motor and an HV 80-Amp ICE2 electronic speed control. I have had some issues with electrical systems and have a few items in for service. I hope to have her in the air within the next month.

Any other RC Cub hobbyists, feel free to post pics of your own models as well:)

IMG_0035.jpg

grass.jpg

fh.jpg

low.jpg

cp-1.jpg

rh.jpg

cp2.jpg

photomotor.jpg

p1.jpg

photo-28.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts