• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Generator to Alternator conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpowell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My J5 with Lycoming O-235 engine has the original style 20A Delco Remy generator on it. Starting the research to convert it to an alternator. Planepower and B&C both have options for a 70A alternator conversion. My concern is the wiring change needed. The wiring in the plane is sufficient for the 20A max output from the generator to the bus, but it is not sized for the potential 70A output of this alternator/regulator conversion. I think I will need to add much larger wire (8 or 10 gauge min), but when i look at other planes with 70A alternators, the cable back to the bus is huge (and heavy) same size as starter cable and has a very large 70A breaker in-line.

For those of you who have done the conversion, what size wire do you run from the alt output terminal? one key goal is weight savings, but if i have to add 10lb of heavy gauge wire, the weight savings is gone. any advice?

I am waiting for the callback from B&C tech support but thought i would try here as well. I was hoping the regulator might be able to limit max current to allow me to use smaller wire, but not sure it can be adjusted.

thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back