• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Fuselage attachment bolt hole-HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilho

Reaction score
Hello.

First, sorry if it's not the right place to post this doubt.Now let's go:

I need some help of you :

My name is William Echeverria. I own a PA-11 and i live in Brasil.

Last month i bought from Univair the set of sealed struts with 5/8 forks. i bought too the installation kit with all the bolts, including that bolts which is not AN5, but a PN U82141-000.

What happens:

The fork 5/8 has a 5/16 bolt hole(which matches bolt PN U82141-000), but the bolt hole in my PA-11S fuselage attach is 3/8. The old fork which was in the plane had a bolt hole 3/8 too.

I was researching in the internet, and i found the information that hole bolt should be a 5/16... so i think to someone in the past of this airplane drilled that hole in the fuselage attach to a 3/8 size to fit in an available fork at that moment.

Now my doubt:

The mechanic who is making the changing of struts gave me 2 options:

1- He will put a bushing in that fuselage hole and use the bolt pnU82141-000 which i bought from Univair.

2- I buy a new pa-18 forks set(Which has a 3/8 hole, he said) and use that without bushings.

Other thing he said. He thinks that bolt pnU82141-000 is less safer than a 3/8 bolt. he thinks to a bolt 5/16 in that attachment is “weak”, so he told me the second option is better. Is that right???(buy another set? :( )

What do you say? Please help me.

I hope you understand me, my English is not a great deal.

Best regards

William

Latest posts

Back