• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Found a 1202.5 pound gross wt J3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renkou1

Reaction score
For entertainment last night I went thru Clue Clues until I found the drawings for the J3 gross wt increases. Club Clues 135, 139.
The young lady is out of town. Looking for a way to carry her along on flights. She's not heavy this 1100# gross wt. airplane has put on weight since 1939, so states the wt and balance. (?)
So this a.m. armed with the drawings I checked the landing gear/strut fittings. They match the drawings for the wt. increase!
Add 50 pounds! Next I checked the struts per drawings 12352, 13233. 70 pounds more .... until I came to the upper end of the left rear strut. Open hole clear thru from the top. Let's see 70 # divided by 4 struts, multiplied by 3 struts gives me a wt increase of 52.5 pounds.... maybe I should have put this in the humor section. U brand will be shipping me 4 new struts. 1100 pounds till then.
Another life saved by Cub Clues.
Since I only checked the date threads on the left set of bungee cords I decided to check the other side. Two black threads and one blue. The way I read the chart that is 2010, 2005, 1995, 1990. I need a decade thread. Logs show a hint in 1995.
Find errors and omissions in many old logbooks. Keep finding the wrong (original ) fittings in the tail feathers of Luscombs. Was that A.D. late '40's or early 50's? Just touch the fitting with a magnetic screwdriver. No stick = no fly. Usually the owner has heard that rumor that an 8A series Luscombe is an aluminum Citabria. So far no one I know of has died from this. Some are A&P pilots who should know better.
Another life saved by the Cub Forum.
Used to work ER; saving lives is a great thing. R

Latest posts

Back