• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Former L-4 Pilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crew Chief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I flew the L-4 to a luncheon at KPWG McGregor, TX yesterday. While sitting around hangar flying with some of the crusty old EAA members, I got into a conversation with one of the members I have known for many years. I knew he had flown L-5 Stinsons in the South Pacific but he enlightened me that he had also flown L-4s. Someone told me he is 92 years old but he looks to be in his 70s. He flies an RV-7 on a regular basis. I wanted to pick his brain a bit more but I had to get back to base. He asked if he could hand prop the L-4 and I said sure even though my instructor was going to do it. I gave it one squirt of primer and he pulled it through and it started on the second pull. Usually it takes about 6 pulls to get her started. He had a big smile on his face.

I am going to get more information from him on maintenance because he was a Sargent and did the maintenance before he became a pilot. That is another interesting story. The man is so cool and not a braggart about what he did. I have to pry information out of him. Hopefully the next time I see him I can get him away from the others to get more interesting stories from him.

Back