• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

First time cub owner, few questions (wing removal)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KD8NPB

Reaction score
Hello,

I may be pulling the trigger so to speak on my first ever Piper J3 Cub...first ever airplane actually. The funny part is, I don't even have my sport license yet, so I guess I just want the kick-in-the-pants monetary investment to push me over the edge? ;D

I digress...

Anyways, the cub I'm looking at is for a splendid price. However, I don't want to borrow a friend to fly it back 400 miles, nor could I if I wanted to anyways, because it's due for an annual. So here's the question:

1.) How much of a pain in the butt is it to remove the wings / struts?

It would be for a double purpose, since a set of all-new sealed struts are included. I'm no slouch with a wrench either, I've been wrenching on small engines, motorcycles, cars, and trucks for the past 8 or 9 years. I've had my share of sleepless nights, rebuilding an engine in my basement at 2am because I didn't feel like doing anything else.

2.) Is there a maintenance manual you gentlemen suggest?

I'm looking to get certified to do my own annuals. I already do all my own periodic maintenance to my car, so why not an airplane too, eh?

In short, I'm looking to reduce the cost to a minimum. I have yet to look at insurance, but I found a local club to get my taildragger endorsement through. I'm not sure if they do sport pilot licensing as well. There's a grass strip near me that has extremely affordable hangar fees, although this J3 can sit in my carport until I finish licensing and maintenance on it.

The J3 in question is well-maintained, however, it has been sitting for some time. The owner died 10 years ago, and his widow has been sitting on it. She's been going over once in a while and turning the prop to keep a coat of oil spread on everything. She's finally ready to part ways with it, and isn't asking much.

So gents, what say ye?

Latest posts

Back