• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Federal ski shock cord fastener need

Hudson

Reaction score
I need one of the safety rings that slide over the end of the shock cord spring and keeps it from coming of the ski bracket. Federal lists it as a CLS-100-2 part number.
This is not the one that squeezes over the shock cord and keeps the spring from slipping off.
Maybe someone knows were to order them, or has an extra laying around. I am making up new cords and have been missing one and now is a good time to replace it.

Thanks

flyingrv6

Reaction score
I just ordered some cord and fasteners from supierior bungee, google their website. They don't take credit cards but are very helpful. They might have what you need.

John

cubdriver2

Reaction score
Hudson I don't think your going to find one as they haven't been made since the 50s and most of the spring ends guy's rig up today are the open kind and when I have to rig someone now with the new style I make them tape the ends closed after they are installed. Maybe you can find a welded ring in the hardware store that with a little heat you can make into the right shape, take a piece of yarn/string and lay it on the one you have to come up with what diameter ring you need to start with.

Glenn

oldairplanenut

Reaction score
A couple of wraps with .041" safety wire works well as a replacement for the ring on the old-style Federal bungee hooks.

cubdriver2

Reaction score
Hard to find

And this is all that left to use

Something else I don't like are the hog rings they sell now for 1/2" bungee, I make my own out of 12 penny nails and they don't come off.

Glenn

Hudson

Reaction score
That's exactly the part I need, Glen. I called Superior Bungee and Aero Ski and didn't have any luck. I will hold out hope that someone will have one extra they aren't using.

cubdriver2

Reaction score
5 or 6 years ago i was cruzing ebay and came across 500 NOS spring ends like the ones in the picture, no locking ring. I tried to get the guy to sell me 50 of them but he wanted to sell the whole lot for 500 bucks. I called Aeroski and tried to talk them into buying them but they were not interested, they never made reserve price and never sold as far as I know.

Glenn

PS, I think the ring would be very easy to make if you need one

Hudson

Reaction score
I just might have to do that, but I thought that there would be a few a these laying around some where. Say Glen, as a great Christmas gift,why don't you sent me the one in the picture?:)

Latest posts