• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Factory original L-4 horizontal stabilizers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43-491

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is a pair of factory original Piper L-4 horizontal stabs that I've had for many years. The color is OD on the top surface, and light gray on the bottom. They appear to have been very well preserved and kept out of the sunlight. The cotton fabric is taut and stills drums, but is brittle in spots. I can't guarantee that the colors in the photo's are entirely accurate given fluorescent lighting my shop along with any camera / flash effect.

For reference, some observations are:

One stab has the dark green camo edging, the other does not.

The ink stamp reads: Piper Aircraft Corp Parts No.
0135 - 41652-1

The OD and Gray colors are a flat finish, no shine. Overall finish appears very light (not tons of dope).
The color transition at the leading edge & trailing edge is not a masked edge.

Four drain grommets, one at each rib, but none at the very outboard tip (see photo).

Drain grommet holes are opened, the bolt holes are not.

The stitch pattern is the standard Piper 3-2-1 pattern.

Rib tapes: The ribs are taped with 2-inch pinked tapes (small, fine pinking). This surprised me since I thought Piper used dollar patches instead of running a tape the full length of the rib. But it almost seems easier and quicker to lay down a tape than mess around with dollar patches.

Leading edge & trailing tapes: Approx 1.5 inch pinked tape. The tape barely wraps from the top center of the tube to the bottom center of the tube. There is little or no extra overlap.

- Dave

IMG_7945.JPG

IMG_7953.JPG

IMG_7966.JPG

IMG_7978.JPG

IMG_7945.JPG

IMG_7953.JPG

IMG_7966.JPG

IMG_7978.JPG

IMG_7945.JPG

IMG_7953.JPG

IMG_7966.JPG