• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

F&M oil filter adapter

Renkou1

Reaction score
Anyone have a TAF-L oil filter adapter sitting around that you are not using because its too long to fit inside J3 cowling? I'd like to barrow one to look at. Will refund shipping and return airworthy adapter...PM me please. Maybe I can find a way we can make one that works. Next to a great air filter I like filtered oil.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a TAF-Short. With a short canister in addition to that, the cowl doesn't have to be cut. Even so, we don't run it because it is pretty much a waste of time, plus it substantially lowers the idle oil pressure ( which is already approaching the bare minimum allowable in most of these old engines due to accessory case housing wear).

I don't discourage mods in general, but I would discourage this one.

I would however, strongly encourage you to pursue an approval for 3" extended gear on a J3. :)

Renkou1

Reaction score
Opps big finger got "for sale" instead of parts wanted section for my post. Thanks for reply. There's a short version? And a short canister? Automotive? I'd sure like to see the engine side of the mounting base.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm out of town this weekend. Will post a photo Monday. The base is shaped like a horse race track -- straight sides, circulat ends. Identical to the shape of rhe oil bypass planform.

The canister is automotive -- short Chrysler. I don't like the quality of the bypass. There are some better short European filter canisters that will also fit.

Renkou1

Reaction score
With all the "background chatter" about extended gear legs I thought they were already approved.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not on a J3 or PA-11.

anelon

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the short adapter on my old Cub (C85-12) ... it still stuck out past the cowl. Here's also an inflight pic that might give something of an idea of how it looks. I painted the first couple of filters yellow - that helped.

Oil filter.JPG

Lundin 062007 007a.jpg

Oil filter.JPG

Lundin 062007 007a.jpg

Oil filter.JPG

Lundin 062007 007a.jpg

Renkou1

Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures. I still need to see the engine mounting surface side of the adapter...JimC is going to send pic. Looks like filter / adapter combo is just about an inch too long...on my blackberry...will look on the big screen tomorrow.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though I urge you not to do this -- in my opinion you can't afford the loss in oil pressure -- keep in mind that there are 'solutions' with this housing that don't require cutting the cowl.

skipster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never noticed a loss of oil press with mine.