• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Exactly WHY does a Carbureted engine quit when you advance the throttle rapidly on a cold day ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have experienced my C-90 quitting when I advanced the throttle from idle on a cold day. This will not happen if the throttle is advanced VERY slowly from about 800-1200 RPM.
I understand on a cold day the air is dense and generally free of water vapor so the mixture is starting out lean.
The engine runs perfectly happy at 800 and at 1200 RPM (once you get there). It's NOT that the equilibrium mixture changes so as to not support combustion, because the engine runs fine at 1200 rpm. The only problem is the transition from 800 to 1200. What EXACTLY about the transition is it that causes the engine to quit ?

When you open the throttle does the increased air flow reach the cylinders before the increased fuel ?

Thoughts ?

Latest posts

Back