• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Engine woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOP

In Remembrance 2023
Reaction score
This engine has been giving me fits lately. C-90-12F. I had lead deposits that made it necessary to pull all 4 jugs and have them overhauled, about 100 hours after I had to do it the last time. OK, so once they are back on, I had to break them in. On the second break in flight, I had noticeably less oil pressure than I normally do. So, I had visions of rebuilding the entire engine. Tried more oil, no good. Tried cleaning the oil pressure regulator valve, no good. Then we added a washer under the spring of the valve, and that raised the O/P to an acceptable level, but it is still not what I am accustomed to. It usually went to around 40 on warmup and then to 50 at full power and stayed there at cruise. Landing, it went to about 30.

Before the spring adjustment, it went to 50 but then backed off to around 30 and on landing it pegged at zero. I had to taxi in under power and braking to keep it above red line.

We're going to replace the valve spring and try adding a T fitting to the instrument line and adding another O/P gauge to see if it agrees with the one I have.

I am flying it to break in the cylinders, but am not comfortable with things the way they are.

Latest posts

Back