• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Engine Wanted: C85 or C90 for rebuild

wpowell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for either engine listed above for a winter build project for my certified J3. -8 models preferred but-12 also OK. Any TSMOH is OK. We will likely redo all jugs for new, so top end condition is not critical, but bottom end should be serviceable. Must have logbooks. Anyone have any good candidate in their hangar?

Thanks.

wpowell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: really looking for just a C85 or C90 case, not a whole engine. anyone have a serviceable case?

wpowell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
just got a very runout C85-12 complete engine with valid dataplate. tearing it down now. the hope is to get a usable case and cam, and a good core crank out of it for a stroker core exchange. this will be a very interesting (and expensive) adventure. it started today.

wpowell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone want a set of C85 jugs/pistons/rods? freshly removed from a not so fresh engine. i’ll maybe throw in an Eisman mag too.

reileyr

WagAero J-3
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't you going to need the rods, rocker arms, etc even if you install new cylinder assemblies?

wpowell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
will be doing an all new crank, rods, pistons on the bottom end with the stroker STC. will put complete new jugs as well, so i will have a lot of extra parts. once i figure out what i don’t need, i’ll be putting it up for sale here on the appropriate forum. at this point, i’m sure i won’t need the cylinders and pistons. also have the old starter and generator coming off. haven’t looked at them yet.

anyone have a set of slick 4302’s they don’t need?

wpowell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
and yes, i will need the rocker arms, pushrods for the new cylinders. the rods will be exchanged for new ones.

N92624

Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone want a set of C85 jugs/pistons/rods? freshly removed from a not so fresh engine. i’ll maybe throw in an Eisman mag too.
If the cylinders are available, I’d be interested.
Thanks,
Kevin

huston marlowe

Reaction score
wpowell: If you are sending all the parts through a well known shop for inspection be ready for surprises on the results. I was ready for bad news on the cases and crank etc, but they were good , as were the lifters, rods, and gears. Rear cover , cam, red tagged. Depending on inspection results, you can change your plan on how to build it out. Nothing wrong with stock C85 crank and piston displacement.